A haveli or a palace vacation is something we all yearn for. They take us back to another era of kings & queens , impeccable hospitality and sumptuous food .
But what I of course love about staying in a haveli is the decor . Although I know I can’t make my house look like a Rajasthan Royal Bungalow , but there are little things which can add that charm .
This post is about some breathaking pictures from various places in Rajasthan – but it is also about a bit of humour. Each picture is followed a Jerry Seinfield joke. Sometimes its a good break to move away from motivational quotes, serious poetry and have a little bit of fun while we decorate our homes.
1. Just focus on the furniture. While keeping the color palette and other decor extremely simple just get beautifully hand carved wooden furniture. The kind which will be part of family heirlooms.
2. On beautiful wall papers and fancy chandeliers. If you pick up these two then keep everything else minimal . Don’t go overboard .
3. Play around with the arches.
4. With Neutral backgrounds- get some pop of color with the linen
5. Play with the windows. This is one of my favorites . I haven’t seen too many people experimenting with windows in their homes. I know there are issues with safety . But there are parts and rooms in the house which can use some pop of color with bright colored windows.
“The Swiss have an interesting army. Five hundred years without a war. Pretty impressive. Also pretty lucky for them. Ever seen that little Swiss Army knife they have to fight with? Not much of a weapon there. Corkscrews. Bottle openers. ‘Come on, buddy, let’s go. You get past me, the guy in the back of me, he’s got a spoon. Back off, I’ve got the toe clippers right here.”
6. And don’t ignore the outdoors.
“Elaine, breaking up is like knocking over a Coke machine. You can’t do it in one push; you gotta rock it back and forth a few times and then it goes over.”
Image Courtesy : Conde Nast Traveller India
For more on Seinfield click here